When we know, who walks beside us, on this path we have chosen, our fears fall from us.

Monday, October 19, 2009

PRAYER IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER

What more do you need to know? OK, how about this: I often chat with those espousing agnostic points of view. True atheists however are a different kettle of fish. Many who label themselves atheist find that by definition they are agnostics, there by willing to converse, while atheists find people like me at best deluded, unable to accept the “truth” and living in denial, to being part of the problem that has plagued humanity for millennia and needs to be eradicated. So, to be clear: I am a “big” C Christian. The Immaculate Conception, the miracles (including raising the dead), death on the cross and resurrection, the whole enchilada, I am all in. Nope, not politically correct, not by a long shot. When asked how someone as seemingly intelligent as I am could believe in an invisible god, angels and all the rest of that spiritual nonsense, my answer? Prayer.

I did not always pray. Sure, there were those furtive “please let me pass this (math, English, history, etc) test”, “please stop the room from spinning” (if you have never said this prayer, I hope you never have too), “please, don’t let her be pregnant, I promise to use a condom from now on”, you know, the get me out of this and I promise to be good, prayers. Back then, I would refer to myself alternately as a small c Christian or an agnostic with an attitude. Neither position well thought out, yet I was always ready to argue, for arguments sake.

Prayer changed for me when I found myself facing a self-imposed crisis that I could no longer evade or avoid. My life had devolved into a state of being I would not wish on anyone, bankrupt in every area. With no place or no one left to turn to I was driven to my knees and said my first, of what has become many, honest prayer. “God help me.”

Did a light shine down or angels pick me up and carry me away in that moment? Perfect enlightenment and the solution to all my difficulties presented on a silver platter? Nope, but the soul crushing weight I was under did lessen enough so I could breathe. Fortunately, I had no idea at the time how much spiritual work was in front me, the good news was I only had to do it one day at a time.

Many years have passed, and though far from perfect in prayer, I have watched prayer work miracles of healing in my life and countless others. Today I live in the absolute certainty of the Power of Prayer. Often when speaking to those unconvinced about prayers efficacy, I’ll end with “If I could only show you the world through my eyes and experience, you too would be convinced that Prayer Is Always The Answer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment