When we know, who walks beside us, on this path we have chosen, our fears fall from us.

Monday, December 18, 2017

The Hard Part



"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." General Norman Schwarzkopf.



From 25 to 30 years of age I was pretty much lost in a haze of intoxication. By 25 I had had a good job, owned a home, drove a nice car, was married and became a father. Though my daughter was stuck with me, the rest was gone or going. Now, I am supposedly a pretty smart fellow, if you believe IQ tests, (today I suspect scoring well on an IQ test merely demonstrates an ability to take IQ tests well) but looking at my life, I sure wasn't acting like a genius. There were uncounted times when I knew what I was doing or about to do was a bad idea, but I did it anyway. I was a time traveler when under the influence. I would start out in one place, consume mass quantities of intoxicants, blackout and then come too, sometimes the next day, in a different place, sometimes wearing different clothes, invariably broke, often in the company of new "best friends" whom I didn't recognize. A few times this happened while driving, a truly disconcerting experience.

And though I hated it, I did it regularly. A smart man remarked years ago this behavior demonstrates a base form of insanity, and it sure felt like it. I haven't lived like that in many years, today I live on a new basis, the Spiritual Basis, so when the voice of fear, cloaked in all manner of guises, whispers in my mind’s eye in an attempt to drag me back into that old life and way of thinking, I stop and thank God as I understand Him for the strength I have today to stay the course and do the hard things, which in truth, I have learned, is truly the easier softer way. Maybe those IQ tests were right!

© Vincent Lee Jones Living In Spirit All Rights Reserved
Miracles In Recovery, The Secret, Wayne Dyer, Recovery, Addiction, Zen, Emmet Fox, Opioids, Four Agreements, Chopra, Heroin, Einstein, AA, Healing Path, Law Of Attraction

No comments:

Post a Comment