When we know, who walks beside us, on this path we have chosen, our fears fall from us.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

PERCEPTIONS

      How we perceive the world colors everything we see and believe. Our perceptions are built, layer upon layer by our life experiences and how we interpret those experiences.

Consider:

A homeless person asks for assistance, do you:
1) Act as if they were invisible.
2) Ask them what they need the money for, we will consider it if they can convince us it is for food and not anything we find objectionable.
3) Smile and hand them a few dollars, saying a silent prayer for them since they are a child of God, just as we are.

     When I wore a younger mans clothes, not just the homeless, but much of life was invisible to me. Being infallible as only the young can be, why would I consider another’s plight when the universe revolved around me. In time, becoming a husband and parent my vision and perceptions began to change, priorities altered. I could see those struggling, but felt duty bound to lecture and inform these poor unfortunates, because they clearly needed the benefit of my wonderfulness.

“The only instrument sharp enough to cut away the excess of self, is pain.”


     The slicing away of self can be a tedious process, but is spiritually invaluable. Today I see with my heart, all are children of a loving God, all equal in His eyes, regardless of station or circumstances. How I treat the least of us will be meted to me in kind, for we all reap as we sow. Today to the above quote I would add “The only instrument sharp enough to cut away the excess of self and alter our perceptions, is pain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment