When we know, who walks beside us, on this path we have chosen, our fears fall from us.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

(FROM 2008)

Today’s Key Word: REPENTANCE

Whenever I think of repentance I see in my minds eye Burt Lancaster as Elmer Gantry spewing fire and brimstone (if you haven't seen the movie it is a classic). As I matured watching a variety of real world preachers threaten damnation if I didn't repent, only to discover that they didn't walk the way they talked I became ambivalent about the whole concept. I find it a little hard to find any sincerity in someone who on the one hand is threatening me with eternal damnation if I don't follow them to the letter while talking through their hat. Then I found Dr Fox. Dr Fox explains repentance as simply being ready to change ones mind in concerning something. Here we are presented with one of the clear differences between much religious dogma and metaphysics. Dr Fox teaches, consistently, that God is within and must be sought there, not some punishing power outside of us keeping score that we must attempt to appease to gain entrance to heaven. As Dr Fox teaches, and I believe, when we identify any condition that needs to be changed we begin by addressing the Power within in prayer and meditation and avoid at all costs engaging in morbid reflection wallowing in past mistakes and hurt. When we refuse to engage in remorse, condemnation and worry about our past lives we make true repentance possible. Metaphysically speaking of course. Elmer Gantry would not approve.

The following is of a personal nature and if you choose to move on, I understand. Today’s date 9/13 holds a special significance for me. It was on this date in 1985 that the most important act of repentance in my life to date took place. I didn't know it at the time but such is usually the case with such moments. It was on this date that I truly placed my feet on the path. The moment was birthed with tremendous pain and confusion. It would be a year or so until I found Dr Fox but the key was that I had become teachable again, sweetly reasonable as only tremendous psychic pain can make you. I had been looking for answers all my life and at this point the best I had done was to be a raging agnostic, with all the answers of course. Today I believe in a Power greater than myself. This Power is Loving, Available (in prayer and meditation) and Intelligent. It matters little what moniker you adopt, call it God, Creative Life Force, Power of The Universe, Yahweh, Christ or Chuck. What matters today is I know that I am not alone and am loved unconditionally. As are YOU. We are all equal in His eyes, all being His children; there are no grandkids. Dr Fox teaches that the way out of any difficulty is to realize enough love and I believe that in the end the only yardstick that we are measured by is the love we freely give away and we hold the yardstick, not God. Realizing love, especially towards those we find fault with, is a daily learning experience. I am far from perfect at it but I am better at it today than ever before. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment