When we know, who walks beside us, on this path we have chosen, our fears fall from us.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Spiritual Snakes

   Some years ago I became very ill, but since I was still “functioning” I delayed going to my physician until I was essentially at death‘s door. The onset had been so gradual that my body and life had adapted to it, my life having shrunken to the point of work and commitments, nothing more. By Fridays I was so tired I would come home and only move for necessities, resting and marshaling my energy for the coming week. As my health returned it amazed me how I had allowed my circumstances to become so altered, how I had just accepted negative conditions, rationalized them, without a fight, all because it happened gradually, under the radar of my consciousness.

     During the course of our lives our circumstances, living conditions, go through many alterations. Careers and children the leading causes early, aging and possibly becoming care givers more so later. Although we never fully understand going in how becoming parents or relocating/changing careers will impact us, growing older and some of these other things, typically, come with some foreshadowing, approaching head on, unlike what transpired when I became so very ill, which crept in silently like a snake.

      Spiritually the same things happen in our lives. When faced with a definite problem or difficulty we react and take some form of action, preferably spiritual, but even running around shouting the sky is falling is action, a demonstration, albeit a poor one. Then there are the snakes. When we first begin walking the new path, Living on the Spiritual Basis, we are aware of everything around us. The scales on our eyes have fallen away; we are seeing life and our existence through fresh eyes, illumination all about us. Having had our first taste of freedom from the bondage of self we naturally believe that our days of slavery are behind us, never to return. If only it were that simple. The price of spiritual freedom is unrelenting vigilance. Unfortunately many become complacent, in time becoming moribund, rigid in their thinking, no longer open to the fresh winds that constantly flow from source. Though once dynamic, free and open they have now unconsciously constructed walls built of the brick of righteousness set in the mortar of pride, living in the shadows where snakes reside, becoming slaves to self once again, though they often continue mouthing spiritual teachings and platitudes, they have lost any real significance in their lives, simply nice thoughts lacking any real authority.

   Avoid then the deadly trap of complacency and spiritual pride by staying fresh through heartfelt prayer, service and meditation, unwilling to accept limitation in all its guises regardless of personal circumstances, for God truly wants all of us to be happy, joyous and free, our lives the demonstration of our true divine heritage, our connection with source affirmed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment