When we know, who walks beside us, on this path we have chosen, our fears fall from us.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

32 Years Ago Today

Forgive me, but today's post is of a personal nature. 32 years ago today my life changed in a most dramatic way. Though at the time I didn't see it, but such is usually the way of such things. I was living of the world but not really in it, existing in a haze of self imposed intoxication, focused only in self, shut off, by choice, from all that truly mattered, all that was of real value, oblivious to the truth.

I was a young man, intelligent to the point of narcissism, sure of myself as only the clueless and spiritually immature can be. I found myself at a point of crisis, self imposed but a crisis none the less. Bereft of answers or direction I reached out in a way that was contrary to all I thought I believed and two men that I had never met before arrived at my home, bringing the good news I so desperately needed but didn't really want. Though quite hesitant, I did not want to continue the way I was traveling so I followed suggestions, did things like make coffee, give rides to people I had just met to gatherings of other like minded individuals and did I say follow suggestions?

As my intoxicant befogged mind began to clear I saw, for the first time, that all the trials and tribulations in my life had one common denominator, a central point of chaos and disharmony, that point was me and my thinking. I had been living on the basis of self will and my life reflected it. So it was suggested I find a new basis, a spiritual basis for living that would solve all my problems.

So I embarked on the most wonderful journey of all, that of self discovery. There have been many wrong turns and mistakes along the way, but oh what a ride, every day a holiday and every meal a banquet, if I am right sized and committed. Those "suggestions" given me by those who knew all those years ago still working, a plan for living that really works.

And to all those who have walked with me on this road of happy destiny, whether it was for only a little while or from the very start, thank you. I carry you all in my heart, my thoughts and am grateful to you for having been a part of my journey. So, onwards through the fog, a day at a time, hand in hand with Him who has all knowledge and power, no longer of the world but in it with my head in the clouds and my feet firmly planted on the ground for that is where life happens. Oh, and I still follow those "suggestions".

See ya around the coffee pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment